In Dominican Spanish la ñapa refers to "the little extra" added on at the end. Just when you thought you'd gotten all that you would get, along comes your ñapa, like a baker's dozen, with one more kiss, one more pastelito, one more mango at the mercado.
Read the latest ñapa: Climate Change, December 14, 2019.
Browse the collection of las ñapas I have shared in the past:
- Patty Anton -- November 25, 2019
- Border of Lights, 2019 -- October 6, 2019
- Julia Alvarez presents her new novel Afterlife at Algonquin Sales Conference -- New York City, August 8, 2019
- Election Day -- November 2, 2018
- Quisiera Yo Tocar -- I Would Like to Touch -- October 9, 2018
- International Day For the Elimination of Violence Against Women -- November 25, 2017
- November 25, 2016 -- wear a butterfly
- When The Worst Happens, July 2016.
- Wear a Butterfly on November 25th, November 2015.
- Border of Lights: Virtual Vigil, October 2015.
- Maury -- my sister, April 2015.
- Somebody Got There Early -- on receiving the National Medal of Arts, August 2014.
- How to Keep the Mariposas Alive -- good-bye to Dedé Mirabal, February 2014.
- Many Left Out -- Border of Lights & border issues, October 2013.
- No One Left Out -- thoughts on the Boston Marathon bombings & response, June 2013.
- ¡No Puede Ser! / It Cannot Be! -- a letter to the National Congress of the DR, to the public, to our country, November 2012.
- Hay dos países -- a poem for Border of Lights, October 2012.
- The First Book Without Them -- A Wedding in Haiti without my parents, July 2012.
- Butterfly Power -- On November 25th, wear a butterfly to show your solidarity with an internal and global winged movement to eliminate all violence against women.
- Vermont Governor's Award for Excellence in the Arts -- an excerpt from Julia's acceptance speech, November 2011
- EARTH HOUR, March 26, 2011, 8:30 pm -- turn off your lights for an hour and s-l-o-w down with Earth Hour
- Introducing (some of) My Tías -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- A Typical Writing Day -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- What Do I Do When I'm Not Writing? part one -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- What Do I Do When I'm Not Writing? part two -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- How Tía Lola Makes Rice the Dominican Way -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- How Tía Lola Cooks Her Beans the Dominican Way -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- La Vieja Belén -- an excerpt from The Best Gift of All
- Why Tía Lola and I Love Sayings -- an entry in the Tía Lola Stories blog tour, October 2010
- Fifty Years Later: Still the Time for Butterflies -- wear a butterfly on November 25th
- How I Came To Write About Tía Lola -- a letter to readers of Tía Lola Stories
- March Renga -- a series of linked haiku, March 2010
- A Chance to Turn the Tide -- a response to the earthquake in Haiti, January 2010
- Naming the Animals No Longer With Us -- a poem from The Woman I Kept To Myself
- CROP Walk -- walking in Middlebury, Vermont with Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty, October 2009
- Soundtrack to Return To Sender -- an excerpt and the soundtrack behind Return To Sender, June 2009
- January 20, 2009 -- a poem for Obama's inauguration
- Election Day: November 4, 2008 -- read and hear an essay about voting
- Toward Hope and History Rhyming -- an excerpt from the commencement address at the University of Vermont, May 2008
- Julia Tavares Alvarez at United Nations -- an excerpt from a speech at the United Nations, during a session honoring my mother, October 2007
- Time is How You Spend Your Love -- an excerpt from Once Upon A Quinceañera: Coming of Age in the USA
- Saving the Writer -- a story about the research that went into writing Saving the World, November 2005
- Reading the Coffee Cup -- a poem for Roast Magazine's Annual Davis Demitasse Poetry Contest, October 2005
- a passage from Finding Miracles
- a poem for February -- a poem published in The Twelve Seasons of Vermont, by Vermont Life, 2004
- Why I Am in Love with Librarians -- a poem in praise of librarians, January 2004
- By Accident -- a poem from The Woman I Kept To Myself
- The White House has disinvited the poets -- a poem from The Woman I Kept To Myself